By Andrew Chokpeleh

Freetown, 20th May, 2026 –Traders at the Sewa Grounds Market say their prolonged inability to access the newly constructed market facility is exposing them to devastating financial and environmental hardships. Many traders, who currently operate in temporary and vulnerable spaces, fear that continued delays will lead to further destruction of goods, reduced sales, and worsening economic struggles.

The Chairman of the Sewa Grounds Market Traders Association, Saffa Kamara, expressed serious concerns over delays preventing traders from accessing their shops at the newly constructed market facility, despite ongoing financial commitments made by many business owners.

Kamara described the situation as “very challenging,” explaining that since the market was officially handed over by the contractors, many traders who had already paid significant sums of money are still unable to occupy their stalls and begin business operations. According to him, several traders purchased forms and made payments through the bank under agreed arrangements, including instalment payments, yet access to the market remains restricted months after the process began. “The challenge is very great,” Mr. Kamara stated.

“People have paid money for shops, some through the bank, but up till now they have not been allowed to enter the market and start trading.”

Concerns have been raised regarding the security and safety of the market premises, Kamara said, adding that traders approached relevant authorities to request protective measures around the market structure, including fencing and nets to safeguard the facility and maintain order.

The Chairman Kamara noted that proposals were made for a uniform design to secure the market, and sample materials were presented for approval. However, traders are still awaiting further action and official implementation.

The chairman noted that management has continued to engage traders, assuring them that access to the market will commence once ongoing construction and finishing works are fully completed. He explained that some sections of the market are still undergoing final touches and cannot yet accommodate traders until the project is officially certified and opened for occupation.

“Management told us that the new sections are not yet fully completed, and people cannot start moving in until all the finishing work is done,” he said. Despite the delays, Mr. Kamara expressed hope that the situation would soon improve, adding that traders are patiently waiting for the authorities to finalize the remaining work and officially hand over the market for full operations.

He emphasized that the traders remain eager to resume business activities and restore normal economic life within the Sewa Grounds Market.

A trader, Humunatu Fornah, lamented that market authorities and the company responsible for the project have failed to provide clear communication regarding when traders will officially begin operations. According to her, traders were initially informed that they would be given access to the market on May 1, but since then, there has been little or no official update concerning access to the market. “They told us that business would begin on May 1, but since then, we have not received any proper communication. Many of us have already paid money into the bank, but we still cannot access our stalls,” she explained.

Fornah disclosed that several traders continue to make bank payments for their allocated spaces even though they are not yet able to operate their businesses. She noted that the uncertainty surrounding the market’s opening has placed many traders under severe financial pressure. “We are paying money to the bank, but we are not seeing any way forward because we still cannot enter the market and start selling,” she said. Despite the current challenges, she expressed hope that the opening of the market would provide a safer and more organized trading environment for business owners who currently operate under difficult conditions.

She also highlighted concerns about the temporary trading locations where many sellers are presently conducting business. She said traders are exposed to harsh weather conditions, including strong winds and heavy rainfall, which often damage goods and disrupt commercial activities. “When the rain falls heavily, water enters the area and destroys our goods. Sometimes we have to pack our items and move them from one place to another just to protect them,” she stated. She further explained that traders had welcomed plans for a better and more secure market structure, believing it would improve business conditions and protect them from weather-related losses. Fornah stated that she had completed all required procedures, including submitting application forms and securing the necessary documentation for her stall allocation, but said that she is still waiting for authorities to officially grant access to traders. “I have all my documents and I completed the application process, but we are still waiting,” she added.

Traders believe the urgency to officially open the Sewa Grounds Market has never been greater. For many struggling business owners, access to a safe and modern trading environment is no longer just about convenience; it is about survival. Many hope that authorities will act swiftly to complete the remaining processes and provide the relief and protection they desperately need.